Two Mischievous Boys who became Heroes
8/12/2021
Yesterday was a milestone class. The lesson plan was prepared in the way we usually prepare it. The topic of the class was to talk about our school. Class? This was the natural approach class that we had specially formed for the struggling students from 6,7,8th standards. What was special about it? Our aim was to ensure that we helped students 'acquire' the English language in a classroom setting. My students are born and bred in Auroville. They speak Tamil, run around and play dodge-ball during their break and learn their lessons on the roof incase they dont like being inside the classroom.
Yesterday was a huge difference from the first day I started class with them. Yesterday was a milestone class because they listened. They listened to their peers share their thoughts and this was a moment my guide teacher Ms. Sirisha and I have been striving to get for a long time.
The trick we used was to create break-out groups and discuss before we had a discussion as a whole group. No, I am lying. This was not the trick. We have created break-out groups before. What was the trick with yesterday?
We paired up two of the naughtiest boys together and told them the other gets the credit if one boy participates well. The two boys forgot to perform their usual antics a little and started focusing on how to help the other. This made a world of difference.
I know what's on your mind.
Who are these boys? What is this natural approach classroom? which school am I a part of? How on earth do children acquire a language!!!!! Is that not reserved for the mother-tongue? How do I believe students can acquire a foreign language in a classroom setting?
You know what you have to do. Keep following this blog. 😁
Cheers,
Priya aka Priya akka.
Nice one... We are looking forward for your next post...
ReplyDeleteThank you , sir!
DeleteGood approach Priya. Very happy to see your work. My best wishes. Keep rocking
ReplyDeleteThank you! Do keep following the page.
Delete