Who am I?


Today, after almost 15 days of my classes with them, my students realized that I am their teacher! 😁Drumroll!!! I am not the akka who just comes to class to babysit.. I am their teacher. Vinay's (names have been changed to maintain confidentiality) , Vinay's mouth looked like an O for a minute when my guide-teacher broke the news to the class. 

Today's class could have gone really well. Today's class could have gone really well had we occupied the same room as yesterday. Giddy with yesterday's success, I decided to experiment. We sat in the playground for today's class. Same breakout groups were arranged and they were to discuss festivals. A couple of them had fallen sick so they were a little distracted during class. But overall, we allotted a festival to each group- and asked them to come over to talk about it as a group. 

I realized a couple of my mistakes- the two naughty students in a group were fighting, and the diligent studious boy was finding it difficult to work as a team. And ofcourse, playing with the sand and creating mud-castles were more fun for them than the discussion. :/ 

"Akka, velakku ku English la enna word? "

 "akka, rakesh* is beating me"

"akka, you are really a teacher ah? " 

" akka,can I talk about karthikai deepam instead of diwali?"

My guide-teacher and I looked at each other for one long minute. We decided to start our discussions.

All of the groups started speaking about the ideas they prepared. The sincere students of the class were a little quieter than usual. The mischief-mongers reigned.

Thankfully, I had reached the end of the class. 

"I will see you tomorrow, be sure to finish your homework"- I managed a smattering amount of cliché talk by teachers and walked away in the slow sure gait that teachers walk with. 

Fake it till you make it eh?

 



Comments

Popular Posts